Like St Paul's in Parson Cross, the Grade II listed St Catherine of Siena was completed in 1959 under the direction of Sir Basil Spence.
The body of the building is constructed of high-sided brickwork and a curved apse, whilst natural light pours into the chapel through tall thin windows flanking the nave and subtle horizontal slats between the roof.
A dominant brick campanile is joined to the chapel by a glazed pathway. In 1965, the bell tower was decorated with a bronze sculpture by Ronald Pope, depicting the church's namesake saint at the foot of Jesus on the crucifix, holding in her hands the burning heart that featured in her visions.
Inside, a minimal, modern wooden cross with gnarly metal nails adorns the rear of the apse, underneath ribs of wood against a rich red ceiling.
The above is from our Modernist Churches of Sheffield tour, featuring photography by Theo Simpson, produced for the Sheffield Modern architecture weekender 2018 – available for £2 in our online shop. Some churches are open only for mass/parish communion or by appointment – for up to date contact information, check A Church Near You.
- Words by
- Greg Povey
- Featured in
- Modernist Churches of Sheffield